Sunday, December 19, 2010

Thoughts on Love

I've been doing this 25 Day Challenge thing on Tumblr and today's thing was "discuss your feelings on the word “love” and the way it’s used in today". I thought I would share my answer here as well. 

“I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.”  - Pablo Neruda

I would agree that you can’t help falling in love; the feelings, the rush, are all inevitable. However from there on, I believe love is a choice. You have to choose to keep loving the person despite all the hard things life throws at you. There will come a time when the person you love won’t be so lovable, yet if you truly “love” them, you will choose to keep doing so. You must love them at their worst, because if you don’t then how can you expect them to love you when you are at your worst?
Nowadays so many people get divorced, but I don’t think it’s because they were never “right” for each other, it’s because instead they choose to take the easy way out and give up instead of choosing to love each other despite the circumstances. When you vow “to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part” it means exactly that. 
That may seem like such a huge task, and it is. No doubt about it. But I believe that is the kind of love that we all want, and deserve. God’s love is unconditional and never failing and when I love someone I want it to be an example of His love. 

Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. John 13:34

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...